Saturday 11 October 2008

Wandering the Mall

After a breakfast of marvellous muffins and lovely lattes at Firehook we took a brief tour round the marina before heading back to the house to check the Internet and see how the Fall foliage colour was looking along Skyline Drive. It said it was still patchy, so we changed our plans and decided to head into DC and wander the Mall for a few hours. It was a glorious day today. Clear blue skies and warm without being sticky.



We parked up at Pentagon Mall and Metro'd into L'Enfant Plaza. I think I need hypnotherapy or something in order to overcome the down escalator phobia! I managed it, but I was not a happy bunny - and these were just itty bitty escalators. There is no way in hell that I could even contemplate getting on one of these enormous ones that they have. What is wrong with good old fashioned stairs????



We had a lovely day wandering around - up to the Capitol building, back down the Mall to the Sculpture Garden, then into the Natural History Museum. It was absolutely rammed with people which slightly took the edge off my chirpy mood! After about 3/4 hour I was ready to leave as I was fed up not being able to move without someone bumping into me. As I said to Stephen we should have left the uber popular museum and gone to the National Gallery as that's always quiet. Art is a lot less popular than dinosaurs!

We took loads of photos, and were competing to see who could get the best shot. Stephen was in hysterics at my inability to hold his camera straight. I think I need to work out my right arm in order to be able to heft his camera around! It took me ages to get a shot of him outside the Capitol which didn't have the reflecting pool sloping downhill!! He finally admitted that he had the same problem when he first got his camera, which made me feel slightly better!

No comments: