Saturday 6 September 2008

Hanna - the build up

Cold update: Stephen is still not feeling well...He's milking the sympathy thing for all he's worth. I had a mild snapping of my temper tonight, but only because I was tired and hungry and he was whining!

Tropical Storm Hanna update: She's still coming! They have had TV crews down on King Street tonight as the city have handed out sandbags to the businesses on King Street and the streets which may flood down near the river. They're expecting the water level to be 2-3 feet higher than normal during high tides, and there is the chance of flash flooding too.... I've been out back and moved all the lightweight items into the bin store and moved the garden furniture into the corner of the yard. I'm standing by to bring it inside if its looking nasty in the morning. We're due to get the worst of the storm in the afternoon, so there is time to do some last minute battening down if needed!

I've also been to Safeway and stocked up with the essentials: water, loo roll and beer....

I was speaking to Dave from Malvern today and he was commenting that the US news reporters always seem to compete to see who can put themselves in most danger to report from the worst of the storm. I was telling him that I had to laugh at this ridiculousness when watching the news of Gustav last weekend. One news reporter had lashed himself to a pole on top of a building in New Orleans. You couldn't hear a word he was saying, you could barely see him, but he was there trying to tell the world what the weather was like!! I have promised not to lash myself to a tree during the storm tomorrow....

"Where's Kerry?"

"Well she lashed herself to that tree with her webcam in order to report on the storm for her blog. It took off in the storm. We're tracking her, and she's expected to make landfall in Cape Cod on Monday"

Well it had us in stitches anyway!!

No comments: