Saturday 13 September 2008

The Mystery of the Headset

Dawn and I both received a mystery packing in the post last week. It was a USB headset - no covering note, no indication of who it came from, just a Farnborough postmark. We were intrigued, so I phoned Dave to find out if he knew what it was about. We joked that it was probably just because some IT geeks probably thought we would look hot in them and sent them over, and I should expect a request to put on the headset and talk phonetic alphabet to them!!

The mystery was solved the next day when we got an e-mail telling us what it was about. We were part of a pilot scheme to trial voice comms using our internal messaging service. Andy B caused chaos for both Dawn and I at various points in the week when he called us - as neither of us had actually bothered to unpack them from the box! So there was a frantic moment of activity on Monday as I struggled to get them out of the box, untie the cables, plug them in, get them on... then deal with the hysterical laughter from Paul when he caught sight of me...in my cube with a headset on. I obviously need to learn how to work the "Call Centre Chic" look!! Its a good idea - the only problem I've had is that I've been glued to my land line all week, so haven't been able to answer when people call me. Will have to try harder!!

No comments: