Sunday 14 September 2008

Sunday, Sunday

It has been really hot this weekend. It was pretty brutal yesterday when we were walking abouts the arts fest. We were very sweaty by the time we got home! I wasn't overly thrilled by the forecast for today which was predicting a temperature of 97F... those kinds of temperatures mean sweating profusely even if you've not expended any energy! Standing still in the shade and sweating is not something that I particularly look forward to. (Comatose on a sun lounger with a daiquiri in hand is a different matter!) Thankfully, the actual temperature wasn't quite as high as forecast. We had an actual of 93F which felt like (according to the weather channel) 100F. I can testify that it really did!! We walked along to Firehook bakery to get coffee and a muffin, then had a short walk up King to revisit the Arts Fest and by the time we got home my t-shirt was absolutely wringing. I looked like I was just out the shower!!

We turned the a/c up to max and concentrated on some indoor tasks for a while. After months of nagging I finally persuaded Stephen to hang the selection of pictures that have been accumulating over the past few months (I won't embarrass him by telling you exactly HOW long!!). Its all looking rather fabulous now!

I did eventually brave the outdoors again. Our windows at the back needed washed - they were covered in spiders webs into which had flow a high number of little insects. Net result - a diminished view of the woods. I had looked up the internet for local companies to call. All seemed to simply come and power wash the windows. No-one was up for squeegeeing all the panes it seems! I needed a quick fix, so I decided to take the matter into my own hands. Therefore this afternoon I grabbed my hose and pointed it at the windows. I quickly stopped as I was getting soaked by the splash raining down on me. I had only just dried out. I wasn't up for another soaking! It was a temporary halt only as I sent Stephen to find me a brolly. So there I was, brolly in one hand and hose in the other happily squirting the webs off the windows. I am probably now referred to as the Strange Scottish Woman by the neighbours - it certainly looked a little odd! It made a huge difference though. I still need to find someone to come and wash them properly, but at least we can see out now!

We popped out to get a pizza for dinner. We had thought about BBQing, but the thought of standing around in our little heat trap of a back yard, heating the air even further with our 56,000 btu gas grill was not appealing to either of us!! The pizza was good, until I found the additional topping... there was a long dark hair baked into a slice. Eurgh! I was looking askance at it when Stephen whipped it off my plate and dropped it on the floor. Talk about destroying the evidence!!

No comments: