Sunday 7 September 2008

Hanna the Horrible? Well, not so much!!

We survived!!

We survived the howling breeze and the torrential drizzle... Hanna was not as bad (here anyway) as they were expecting. It rained pretty non-stop from when we woke through to about 6pm - at times it was absolutely lashing down, but I don't think we had the volume we were expecting. The flooding on King St didn't happen. I think Cameron Run (which is where Pat & Jude used to live) overran its banks as there was a report that the Beltway may have to close in that area, but that was it...

We spent the day lounging. I baked Brownies and read a book, Stephen watched the sport: Murray v Nadal, Football, Baseball, Soccer, Formula 1.... (you can see why I went to read a book!). About halfway through the brownie baking, and at the most torrential part of the storm, Alison and Morag came round for a visit, so I had someone to try out my brownies on! They weren't fantastic (a bit dry), and I forgot to grease the tray before I poured the mix in, so we had Turtle Brownie crumble when I tried to take it out and put one on a plate. I am truly the Undomestic Goddess!

Stephen felt slightly recovered this afternoon, so he went out for a walk to see what the aftermath was like. I had been struck down by a "my head is going to explode, why is it so bright" headache, so I popped a painkiller, pulled on the wraparound shades and tried to sleep. It seemed to do the trick anyway. We both felt okay enough to walk out to get a pizza and enjoy the clear air and the very clear sky.

No comments: