Sunday 21 September 2008

Shop til you...drop? Or at least become slightly tired...

Having been a mini philanthropist a few weeks ago and donated $5 to charity when shopping in Macy's, I was the proud possessor of a 20% discount card valid yesterday for the "Shop for a Cause" event. I was not about to waste an opportunity to spend/save money on clothes so I dragged Stephen off to Pentagon Mall for a quick look. He assured me that he didn't need anything, so I ditched him and went on a girlie spree...and isn't it typical that there wasn't loads of stuff that I loved?



I got another pair of jeans. Shock - I haven't owned a pair in 30-odd years and now I have 3 pairs! The 3rd pair was essential as (not having bought jeans in 30-odd years, and because I'm still trying to work out what US size I am) one of the pairs I bought were too big and baggy - they are essentially "Mom Jeans". The other pair fit much better, but they are artfully distressed and therefore not suitable for dress down Friday. Oh, who would have thought jean ownership could be so complicated?!



I also got a really nice silk/cotton mix summer skirt which was reduced down to almost nothing in the sale rack. I also got a nice Michael Kors top...and that was it!! What a waste!! Nothing else managed to catch my eye...talk about a wasted opportunity!!



When I was browsing the racks I found a top and thought "Oh look someone has put that in the wrong place"...I had bought it 6 months ago. In fact I liked it so much I went back the next week and bought another one as it was reduced in the sale! It was Calvin Klein and was a red long sleeved t-shirt with a black mesh over top. I picked up the one from the rack yesterday and it was identical in style and colour, but it was a different brand! This was a very direct example of designer clothes being "diffused" down to the high street!



Typically, this morning, having assured me yesterday that he didn't need anything, Stephen piped up about needing new undies....and not ones which could be used as an emergency sail in a tall ships race!! I don't know why he didn't managed to think of this yesterday, but hey! Its a good reason to hit the shops again soon!!!!

No comments: